Beauty, Location and History

Lord Tredegar
                   Lord Tredegar

Situated just 1 minute away from the Bow Road tube station and offering fast access to the City, Canary Wharf and Stratford, Tredegar House is a Grade II listed,  7 story building  consisting of 20 residential apartments sharing a beautiful walled garden.

Originally a private house occupied in 1818 by Joseph Westwood an Iron Shipbuilder (whose employees were the originators of a football team which they called "The Hammers"), the house was subsequently donated to the London Hospital by Lord Tredegar. It was then refurbished and augmented and opened opened in 1912 by Queen Alexandra as a purpose-built training home for nurses at the London Hospital.

​Its conversion to private apartments was carried out in 1999 by Higgins Homes.

 

Edith Cavell, our most famous resident?

                    Edith Cavell

Edith Cavell trained at Tredegar House in Bow in 1901. She then went overseas to train nurses in Belgium, having set up a nursing college, when war broke out in 1914. Neutral Belgium was invaded by Germany in a move to swing behind the Allied lines in northern France. 

Cavell was trapped in Brussels, helped British and Allied soldiers reach Holland through Occupied territory—but is eventually discovered by the German authorities and executed by firing squad.

Why this site?

This site allows conversation away from the prying eyes of managing agents and estate agents.

Unlike facebook it is not loaded with pictures of meals and funny cats.

The objective if the site is to allow secure conversations, messaging and news and also to promote Tredegar house to potential buyers and tenants.